Poulomi Basu Biography, Age, Birth & Family, Career, Physical Status, Photographer, Early Life and Family and more
Poulomi Basu is an Indian transmedia artist, activist and documentary photographer.
Her works have become widely known for advocating for the rights of women.
Poulomi was born in October 1983 and raised in Calcutta (now Kolkata), India. She was lucky find early inspiration in the city’s rich cinematic history.
According to her, she had grown up in a home with all kinds of taboos and a misogynistic environment.
She majored in sociology did her masters in photojournalism and documentary photography at The London College of Communication.
Her works usually consists of topics addressing the normalisation of violence and discrimination against marginalised women.
Some of her notable works include:
- Centralia, Dewi Lewis Publishing, 2020
- Firecrackers Female Photographers Now, 2017, Thames & Hudson
- A Time To See, The Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust/Impress, 2016
- Hungry Still, QUAD/FORMAT/SLIDELUCK, 2014
She then went on to receive many accolades for her works in the field of photography such as –
- 2012: Winner, 2nd place, Foto Visura Grant for To Conquer Her Land
- 2012: Magnum Foundation Social Justice Fellowship
- 2016: Winner, Magnum Emergency Fund, Magnum Foundation, to continue making A Ritual of Exile: Blood Speaks
- 2016: Winner, Magnum Foundation Human Rights Grant, What Works
- 2017: Winner, FotoEvidence Book Award, New York City, for A Ritual of Exile: Blood Speaks
- 2020: Hood Medal, Royal Photographic Society, Bristol, UK for Blood Speaks
- 2020: Louis Roederer Discovery Award, Rencontres d’Arles, Arles, France
- 2020: Winner, Rencontres d’Arles Louis Roederer Discovery Award Jury Prize for Centralia
- 2020: Singapore International Photography Festival Book Awards for Centralia’
- 2020: Winner, CreativeXR programme by Digital Catapult and Arts Council England for Blood Speaks: Maya – The Birth of a Superhero
- 2021: Shortlisted, Deutsche Börse Photography Foundation Prize, London for Centralia; along with Alejandro Cartagena, Cao Fei, and Zineb Sedira.
INSTAGRAM – @poulomi07
FACEBOOK – n/a
TWITTER – n/a
If you want to know anything else about Poulomi Basu. Please comment below we will try to provide information.